1. Who we are
We are AMES NISSAN LIMITED (Including AMES FORD LTD) and we can be contacted using the following details:
2 Fison Way
Telephone: 01842 764467
Our Data Protection Officer is Graham Balaam
2. Our legal grounds for handling your personal data
The UK’s data protection laws allows us to use your personal data provided we have a lawful basis to do so.This includes sharing it in certain circumstances, as described below.
We consider we have the following reasons (legal bases) to use your personal data:
- Performance of contract with you: we need to use your personal data to be able to successfully legally contract with you.
- Compliance with our legal obligations: we need to use your personal data so as to comply with certain legislation such as financial crime legislation.
- Legitimate interests: these are our business and commercial reasons for using your data, which we have balanced against your interests.We have certainlegitimate interests in using your data which are not outweighed by your interests, fundamental rights or freedoms. These legitimate interests are to help prevent and detect financial crime, fraud and money laundering, to promote responsible lending, to support our tracing, collection and litigation procedures and to assist our compliance with the legal and regulatory requirements placed upon us.
- Your consent: we may also use your data when you consent to it.You can withdraw this consent at any time, in which case we will cease to use it, unless we have a right and a need to continue processing it for one of the other reasons set out above.More information on how we use your personal data and for what purposes is set out below.
3. What personal data is collected from you
- Data provided by you:
- When you apply for our products and services and throughout the course of our dealings: for example, your name, national insurance number, postal address, previous postal addresses, your email address, your IP address, telephone numbers, date of birth, marital status, dependents, employment details, employment history, bank account details, credit card details, lease and vehicle requirement details, driving license details, home ownership status and details, reason for borrowing, your income, your assets and liabilities, details of your proof of identity documentation and proof of address documentation etc.
- When you talk to us: for example on the phone, or in person including call recordings and voice messages.We may monitor or record calls with you to check we have carried out your instructions, to resolve queries or disputes, to improve the quality of our service or for regulatory or fraud prevention purposes
- In writing: for example letters, proposal forms, emails, texts and other electronic communications etc.
- Online: for example when you use our website.
- In financial reviews, for renewals and in any surveys etc
- Data we collect when you use our services:
- Transaction data: for example when we deal with or manage your account
- Payment data: for example, the amount, origin, frequency etc of your payments
- Usage and profile data: for example, from your use of our website. We gather this data from the devices you use, using cookies and other software.
- Data provided by third parties:
- Data from persons that introduce you to us: for example brokers financial advisers, agents or other third parties.
- Data from credit reference agencies, most likely either to be Equifax or Experian
- Data from fraud prevention agencies
- Publicly available information: for example, from the land registry, companies house, the electoral register, other information available online or in the media, including social media
- Data from your representatives where relevant: for example your legal and financial advisers such as lawyers and accountants
- Data from your employers and medical data where relevant*
*In certain circumstances we may ask you to provide us with medical information if we determine that this is a requirement for us to either proceed to enter into the agreement with you or once we have entered into the agreement with you determine that the same is necessary for whatever reason. Full details as to the reason for our request and how we will use this information will be given to you at the time should we request such information from you.You will be asked to consent to the provision of this information.
4. Why personal data is collected by us
We collect personal data from you for many reasons including:
From time to time we may contact you to ask for your consent to use your personal data for other purposes.Your personal data may also be used for other purposes where required or permitted by law.
When we and fraud prevention agencies process your personal data, we do so on the basis that we have a legitimate interest in preventing fraud and money laundering, and to verify identity, in order to protect our business and to comply with laws that apply to us. Such processing is also a contractual requirement of the services or financing you have requested. We, and fraud prevention agencies, may also enable law enforcement agencies to access and use your personal data to detect, investigate and prevent crime. Fraud prevention agencies can hold your personal data for different periods of time, and if you are considered to pose a fraud or money laundering risk, your data can be held for up to six years.
In order to process your application we may supply your personal information to credit reference agencies (CRAs) in which case they will give us information about you, such as about your financial history. We do this to assess creditworthiness and product suitability, check your identity, manage your account, trace and recover debts and prevent criminal activity. When CRAs receive a search from us they may place a search footprint on your credit file that may be seen by other lenders and used to assess applications for finance from you and members of your household. The CRA may also share your personal information with other organisations. We may also continue to exchange information about you with CRAs on an ongoing basis, including about your settled accounts and any debts not fully repaid on time. CRAs will share your information with other organisations. Your data will also be linked to the data of your spouse, any joint applicants or other financial associates. We can provide you with the identities of the CRAs and the ways in which they use and share personal information upon your request. More information about CRAs and how they use your personal data is available at https://www.experian.co.uk/crain/, https://www.equifax.co.uk/crain and https://www.callcredit.co.uk/crain.
From time to time we may provide your information to our partners, third parties and customer service agencies for research and analysis purposes so that we can monitor and improve the services (or as the case may be) we provide. We may contact you by post, e-mail or telephone (or as required) to ask you for your feedback and comments on our services (or as the case may be).
From time to time we may contact you about goods or services that may be of interest to you.
5. When personal data is shared
Your personal data may be used by our partners, brokers, agents, sub-contractors, lawyers and by any of our or their subsidiary or associated companies before, during and after your agreement with us.
We may also use organisations to perform tasks on our behalf including information technology service providers, payment services providers, auction houses, repossession agents, banks and transportation companies who we will then be sharing your personal data with and who may also process and retain your data both before, during and after your agreement with us.
Any of these third parties may contact you by post, e-mail or telephone (or as required) to ask you for your feedback and comments on our services (or as the case may be) to give you information about their products and services and/or for marketing purposes. They may also use your personal data to communicate with you on any matter relating to the management and conduct of your account or agreement with us.
We may also share your personal data with CRAs, fraud prevention agencies, law enforcement agencies, regulators and other authorities, the UK Financial Services Compensation Scheme, the Financial Ombudsman Scheme, any agent that you have given us authority to communicate with and persons you ask us to share your data with, companies that we introduce you to, market researchers tracing and debt recovery agencies and customer service agencies for the purposes set out above. These agencies and firms may also share your personal data with others.
Your personal data may also appear on the V5, service history, manufacturers record, insurance documentation or within receipts in relation to the asset which may be shared by us with third parties who advertise, sell, express interest in purchasing, own or later hire the asset.
If, in the future, we sell, transfer or merge all or part of our business or assets, including the acquisition of other businesses, we may share your data with other parties.We will only do this if they agree to keep it safe and private and to only use it in the same ways as set out in this notice.
If you would like further information please contact us on the details given for us in this notice.
6. When personal data is transferred outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
Whenever fraud prevention agencies transfer your personal data outside of the EEA, they impose contractual obligations on the recipients of that data to protect your personal data to the standard required in the EEA. They may also require the recipient to subscribe to ‘international frameworks’ intended to enable secure data sharing.
We currently share personal data with our office in the United States of America (USA) under a contract containing the EU model contract clauses as prescribed by the European Commission. Our USA office will comply with any provisions put in place by the UK Government following Brexit to protect the exchange of personal data between the UK and the USA.
If we, or a fraud prevention agency, determine that you pose a fraud or money laundering risk, we may refuse to provide the services and financing you have requested or we may stop providing existing services to you. A record of any fraud or money laundering risk will be retained by the fraud prevention agencies, and may result in others refusing to provide services, financing or employment to you.
If you fail to provide us with data we require, this may delay or prevent us from entering into a contract with you and or complying with our obligations.Depending on the importance of the data, it may mean that we are entitled to terminate an agreement with you.
If you have any questions about the above, please contact us on the details in section 1 above.
8. What choices and rights you have
Your personal data is protected by legal rights, which include your right to:
- object to our controlling and processing your personal data;
- object to our sharing of your personal data with others or with certain organisations;
- request that your personal data is erased or corrected or that its processing be restricted;
- request access to your personal data and for it to be given to you in a portable format;
- request that we transfer your personal data to another lender;
- request that we confirm what personal data we currently control and/or process in relation to you.For more information or to exercise your data protection rights please, please contact us using the contact details for us given above.There may be reasons why we need to keep or use your data, but please tell us if you think we should not be processing your data.If you are unhappy about how your personal data has been used by us please contact us and we will send to you our Complaints Policy. You also have a right to complain to the Information Commissioner's Office which regulates the processing of personal data. You can contact them at Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, on 0303 123 1113 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. See also https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/.
9. How long personal data is kept
We will retain your personal data throughout the duration of your agreement and or as long as you are a customer with us. We may retain your personal data beyond this date for the purposes mentioned above and will in any case at all times retain your personal data for the minimum period required by law. We may also retain your data to deal with any disputes, to maintain records and to show we have dealt with you fairly.
We may also retain your data for research and statistical purposes in which case we will ensure it iskept private and used only for these purposes.
Data about live and settled accounts is kept on credit files for six years from the date they’re settled or closed. If the account is recorded as defaulted, the data is kept for six years from the date of the default.
11. Direct marketing
We can only use your personal information to send you marketing information if we have your consent or a legitimate interest.A legitimate interest will usually be a commercial reason which cannot be used unfairly against you.
When you visit our Website we issue a "cookie" file which is stored on your browser or the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. Cookies are widely used in order to make websites work, or work more efficiently, as well as to provide information. Cookies enable us to: improve the use of our Website; to recognise your computer; to store settings to help facilitate your use of our Website; and to deliver a better and more personalised service.
If your computer is configured to accept cookies we will be able to provide time saving functionality such as the ability to pre-fill the enquiry forms with your details, thus preventing the need to re-input them each time you need to contact us.
- To enable the delivery of functionality that improves the ease and speed of using the Website (see above).
- To enable us to track the relative popularity of disparate parts of our Website. This in turn enables us to concentrate our efforts on developing those parts of the Website that are generating the greatest consumer demand.
Third Party Cookies
We also use third party cookies on our Website for various purposes, examples detailed below:
- Google Analytics This is a tool that we use to better understand how people are using our website. It is also used by Google to better understand the performance of its own websites. What information are they tracking? The Google Analytics cookie enables our website to recognise you if you visit again - as well as information about the pages you visit; when you visit; how long you visit our website; the IP address and what site you were looking at before arriving at our site (the referring url). See more information onGoogle Analytics Cookies
- Boomerang - (Yahoo) We use Boomerang to measures the performance of our website from the user's point of view. Boomerang sends this data back to us for further analysis. With this information we find out exactly how fast a user's experience of our site is and as a result we can use this data to increase the performance of our website.
- AUTOTRADER UK These cookies are used in order to present you with relevant display advertising powered by Autotrader UK on other websites.
Automatic Logging of Session Data
We automatically log generic information about your computer and your computer's connection to the Internet which we call "session data". Session data consists of things such as device information, IP address, operating system and browser software information, and the activities conducted by you while on our Website. An IP address is a number that lets computers attached to the Internet, such as our web servers, know where to send data back to the user, such as the pages of the Website the user wishes to view. We collect session data because it helps us to analyse such things as what items visitors are likely to click on most, the way visitors are clicking through the Website, how many visitors are surfing to various pages on the Website, how long visitors to the Website are staying and how often they are visiting. It also helps us diagnose problems with our servers and lets us better administer our systems. It is possible to determine from an IP address a visitor's Internet Service provider (ISP) and the approximate geographical location of his or her point of connectivity. We also use session data to help prevent fraud and unauthorised use of our Website.
For further information on cookies or for details on how to delete them or refuse their installation on your computer, please visit http://www.aboutcookies.org/
List of example cookies used on our site:
|Company||3rd Party Generated Cookie||System||Cookie Name||Cookie Type||Purpose / How we use|
|Autotrader UK||N||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||_dws_sessionstate||Session||Stores mobile / desktop preference, search parameters, some navigation context, call tracker referrer code, category and category title context|
|Yahoo||Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||DWS_RT||Session||Boomerang tracks website response times|
|Autotrader UK||N||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||dwsUserFinance||Session||Stores user preference relating to vehicle finance quotes|
|Autotrader UK||N||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||cooktest632194||Persistent||eVisit checking website has permission to write cookies|
|eVisit||Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||ID_S22923||Persistent||eVisit web tracking|
|eVisit||Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||ID_P22923||Persistent||eVisit web tracking|
|Autotrader UK||Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||ID_P22923||Persistent||Web tracking|
|Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||Persistent||YouTube|
|Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||PREF||Persistent|
|Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||GEO||Session||YouTube|
|Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||use_hitbox||Session||YouTube|
|Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||recently_watched_video_id_list||Session||YouTube|
|Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||__utmz||Persistent||Google analytics|
|Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||__utmc||Session||Google analytics|
|Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||__utmb||Persistent||Google analytics|
|Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||__utma||Persistent||Google analytics|
|Autotrader UK||N||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||selectedArea||Persistent||Records which section of website settings page was selected|
|Autotrader UK||Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||RazsorRemarketing_12345||Persistent||Records user visit to website|
|TURN||Y||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||r.turn.com||Persistent||Records user visit to website|
|Autotrader UK||N||Auto Trader Dealer Websites||bucket||Session||Records the type of device being used|